He born in 1891 in a Marathi family and he was the fourteenth child to his parents.
The real surname of B. R. Ambedkar was Sakpal, but his father changed his surname as Ambadawekar during his school admission.
In his school time, he was one of the favourite student of his teacher Mahadev Ambedkar and Mahadev changed his surname from Ambadawekar to Ambedkar
He was the first Indian to pursue a doctorate in economics abroad.
He was the Key person who recommend change of working hours in India from 14 hours to 8 hours.
Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar
Babasaheb, Bheem & Ambedkar
Economist, Social Reformer, Politician
Father of Indian Constitution
Physical Stats & More
Independent Labour Party
• He started his political career in 1936. On 15 August 1936, He established his own political party ‘Independent Labour Party.’
• His party participated in Central Legislative Assembly election and won 14 seats.
• After some time he changed his Labour Party with the name All India Scheduled Castes Federation.
• He also attended Lok Sabha elections two times but he lost.
Date of Birth
14 April 1891
Mhow, Central Provinces, British India (now in Madhya Pradesh, India)
Date of Death
6 December 1956
Place of Death
Age (at the time of death)
Due to Diabetes
Zodiac sign/Sun sign
Mhow, Madhya Pradesh, India
• A Government School in Mhow, Madhya Pradesh
• Elphinstone High School, Bombay (now, Mumbai)
• Elphinstone College, Mumbai
• Columbia University, New York City
• London School of Economics
• University of Bonn, Germany
• Gray’s Inn, London for the Bar Course
• Master’s Degree in Economics from Columbia University
• D.Sc. in Economics from the London University
• Ph.D. in Economics in 1927
Reading, Writing, Cooking
Awards, Honours, Achievements
Bharat Ratna in 1990
• The relationship between husband and wife should be one of closest friends.
• Men are mortal. So are ideas. An idea needs propagation as much as a plant needs watering. Otherwise both will wither and die.
• A great man is different from an eminent one in that he is ready to be the servant of the society.
• So long as you do not achieve social liberty, whatever freedom is provided by the law is of no avail to you.
• Political tyranny is nothing compared to the social tyranny and a reformer who defies society is a more courageous man than a politician who defies Government.
• Every man who repeats the dogma of Mill that one country is no fit to rule another country must admit that one class is not fit to rule another class.
• Life should be great rather than long.
• I measure the progress of a community by the degree of progress which women have achieved.
Institutes/Places Named After Him
• Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar International Airport
Awards and Prizes: By the Indian Government
• Dr. Ambedkar International Award
• Dr. Ambedkar National Award
• Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Ratan Award
Relationships & More
First Wife: Ramabai Ambedkar (m. 1906-1935) (until her dealth) Second Wife: Savita Ambedkar (m. 1948–1956)
A professional Digital Marketer, blogger and copywriter. He has been part of many reputed online magazines and blogs. An avid marketer, reader and a nature lover by heart, when he is not working, he is probably exploring the secrets of life.